We are committed to handling personal information about you, including your health information, in accordance with the requirements of the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988.
We may collect and hold the following kind of information about you:
- your name, address, date of birth, email and contact details
- information about your family or relatives
- information about other health professionals involved in your care
- any government identifiers such as Medicare or DVA number. However, we do not use these for the purposes of identifying you in our practice
- other health information about you such as: appointments, a record of your symptoms, your relevant medical history, the diagnosis made, any relevant test results or reports and the treatment we give you.
We will generally collect personal information about you from the details you provide on the patient registration form and during your appointment, to our physiotherapists. We may also collect information from a third party such as other health care professionals involved in your care, from your health insurer or workplace.
We primarily collect and use personal information about you in order to facilitate the most appropriate physiotherapy management program for you. We may need to communicate with others involved in your care. We may also use the information collected for other purposes, including management of accounts or to email or sms you with updates to or about our practice. We do not propose to disclose information about you to anyone overseas.
We may disclose information about you to others outside of our practice as permitted or required under law. This will include situations where we disclose information about you in order:
- to comply with our legal obligations (eg. responding to a court order)
- to consult with other health professionals involved in your healthcare
- to get test results from diagnostic and pathology services
- to claim on insurance
- to communicate with your health fund, with government and other regulatory bodies such as Medicare
- for account management
We take every reasonable step to protect the information we hold about you to prevent unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and to prevent misuse and loss. Paper copies of patient files are stored in lockable cabinets and digital records are held within our secure practice management software. All staff are trained in patient and information confidentiality. You have the right to seek access to personal information we hold about you. If you have concerns about the way we have handled your privacy, or to make an information request, please contact us at email@example.com.